Sunday, May 21, 2017

HD Ice Halo: A preliminary report

Hello, and thank-you for attending today's briefing.   I've now worn my new Ice Halo HD during a pair of public sessions, and I must say that it certainly seems to be more comfortable than the standard model with the Velcro closure (ie: my head didn't ache and I wasn't fooling with the head gear at the mid-way point of the session in an attempt to make it feel better).  In fact, today I forgot to remove my green beanie until I was outside the rink at the end of the session, heading for the car.  I contrast, the standard version of the Ice Halo is the first thing I remove after getting off the ice--usually I can't wait to take it off.

Nor did it slip out of place at any time during my warm-up, lesson, or apres-lesson practice. Full disclosure:  I don't do triple or double or even single jumps.  Jumping, on the part of your diarist, is strictly limited by SWMBO to half-rotational jumps--at the most (think Waltz jump and half-flip).  So, big impressive jumpers--your mileage may vary (but unless you're doing Surla Bonaly back flips, I doubt it).

Obviously, more wearings will be required before stepping up to the microphone to make a definitive statement, but  I think this is going to be a relatively short-lived trial, sort of like a medical intervention that's is so overwhelmingly positive during the early stages that the researchers are compelled to suspend the trial early for the ethical benefit of the placebo group.

The unresolved  $64 dollar $95 (well, that's Canadian, so roughly $70) question is: is it as safe as or, better yet, safer than the standard version?   I just don't know.

My ice dance coach immediately (and positively) commented on the sea foam green aspect.  "That color's coming back", she opined.  Alert the press: your old diarist (and big bands) are coming back.

So, at first blush we can tick off three out of five of the big questions: Comfort, (yes) Fit, (yes) and Style (yes!) are all in the plus column.

The unanswered questions of durability and safety are ones which are resolvable only by time for the former and misadventure for the latter.  As we say in the biological sciences, or when taste testing something yummy in a relative's kitchen, "while current results are highly promising, more research is required".

Of course, independent confirmation by other current standard edition Ice Halo wearers would strengthen these observations.  Any stepper-uppers in the on-deck circle?

8 comments:

  1. I have a fluffy ice blue halo. I have tested it personally. I can confirm that it worked exactly as it should when I face planted into the plexiglass. It did NOT protect my nose & chin however! Quite happy to not repeat the experience.

    If I ever need to replace it I'll look seriously at the HD version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct. Neither Ice Halo offers much protection for facial features during a forward fall/face plant. They will reduce the impact to the head during a side or backwards fall. Hopefully no teeth were lost during your excursion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sea Foam Green emerges triumphant! Ta-dah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! I've been slacking off on the head protection front for whatever reason-- style fears, the headache my headband can give me-- but I should give the Halo HD a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it. I like mine better each day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sea foam is the new safety orange? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I should wear this when I sail those Europe dinghies with their low, low booms...!

    ReplyDelete