Wednesday, August 2, 2017

And so it begins

The 2017/18 skating season at Bowie Ice Arena finally got underway this past Saturday after replacing one compressor and repairing the cooling tower.  Better late than never.  As per usual, I was otherwise engaged on Saturday and so the beginning of my new season had to wait a day.  Better late than never.  At the start of a new season I like to look back, one last time, at the old year.  How many times did I skate?  What, if anything, was achieved for the money spent and time invested?  The number of times I skated is easy because I keep track of each session I skate by sticking the ice pass to the wall of my cube at work:

NB: my desk is rarely this tidy.  Thirteen columns x 9 rows = 117 times on the ice.  The lion's share took place on home ice, the remainder were at two other rinks  My high water mark is the 2014/15 season.
The last time I posted this picture was at the end of the 2014/15 season. I managed to skate 128 times that year.  The 2015/16 season was the one that included my recovery from a bad fall and so wasn't even half the total of the benchmark skating season.  In hindsight I should have posted that year's sticker wall.  Just returning to the ice was the major accomplishment.  But, as impressive (at least to me) as my great wall of ice passes may seem, if one divides the totals from either "good" year by 52 it comes out to less than three times per week.  Three times per week would require 156 outings on the ice. Three times a week for a guy who has to cram skating into his work schedule--can I sustain it?  Don't know, but something to aim at.
The 2017/18 season begins.  Will this little fellow find 155 friends before they melt the ice in June?
Along with "quantity" one must include "quality", i.e. whatever "progress" was made.  In my case, last season's major milestone was that I managed to stagger past a USFS judge well enough to complete my Prelim ice dances.  Goals for this year?  I keep them modest.  I'd like to pass the Cha Cha, which seems like a reasonable goal.  But what about the Swing Dance and the Fiesta Tango?  The goal here is to finally conquer my wonky CC forward inside Mohawk required of both dances and clean up my back edges so that the back chasse and back swing roll steps are good enough to at least practice those dances in their entirety.  If Coach A. thinks that they're test worthy by spring that will be icing on the cake. 

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, love the colorful cubicle! One of the sessions I go to has colored wristbands. I've just been throwing them away, but this gives me a whole new idea for office decor. So glad your rink is reopened! Hope this season brings a new slate of fun dances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. colored wristbands at my rink too. I've tried convincing the staff to call me before public so I can tell them what I'm wearing so they can match the band to my jacket. *Sigh* They just laugh, and laugh, I don't think they take me seriously ;-)

      Delete
    2. Several of the rinks near me issue those wrist band thingies. They don't fit around my Flexmeter wrist guards so instead I put them round my ice halo.

      Delete
    3. That's a good idea! I have a key chain and I loop the wristband aruond that so it waves outside my pocket. There are number of skaters at my rink who save theirs, but I'm a trasher

      Delete
  2. Hi George, I love what you're doing with your blog, very informative!
    I have co created a new project which I think could be of help to you and others in a similar position!
    Check us out at https://icecoachonline.com
    Or feel free to get in touch with me at team@icecoachonline.com so we can discuss how we can help. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool way to keep track of how many times you skated! I fear my count and the amount of money I've spent... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the money represented by all those stickers is something I try too not think too deeply about! Most of those stickers were from Public sessions bought via a frequent skater card which reduces the cost quiet a bit. Others were from Free Style sessions which of course are roughly 6x more spendy, even with my dollar off team membership applied. But I still think it's money well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that makes a cheery montage! None of the places where I skate gives out anything physical for the session. I just sign in, or at the place where I skate the most I just walk in and they note that I'm there and sign me in. Love that, makes me feel like there's a place in the world where I'm a 'regular.' I'm happy for you that your ice rink is back up and running. May it be the scene for some skating triumphs for you this season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I like it and it does help me keep track of ice time. My cube mates probably think it's a little weird but that's their problem!

      Delete